Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Liberation


Incessant Storm

The cold world feels more real than ever
Yet, the chance to touch the rain
To break down my shelter
Feel the dampness on my skin
The tingling pressure that beats all over my body
The sensual coolness of liberation
A chance to let it all go
The reality of exploration outside of comfort
The steps into the unknown that make up the journey
An adventure only taken by the ones willing
Willing to lose it all, but gain so much more in return
A first hand experience of ecstasy
Knowing that the feeling won’t last forever
But the journey will never cease to exist

Lindsey Nugas
09.10.07


As the day comes closer I can't help but feel excited, terrified, and unprepared. All I want to do is do it right and to the best of my ability. It took me so long to get to this point and I don't want to mess it up- not now, not ever. So, I clasp my hands and pray that I will get there and make not only myself but my family proud.

I hear it all the time, that I fall into the stereotype that all if not most Filipinos become nurses. But honestly, it's not even like that- not with me. It takes a whole lot of passion to do what nurses do. I really can't imagine myself doing anything else. I've tried mentally and physically; this is the only place I'd rather make a difference.

I'll never forget the first patient I connected with- we talked about his illness, how he loves gardening, his cat, and his family. At that moment, is when I understood a simple conversation can help a person feel a whole lot better. I remember that he would be discharged later that week, after already being there the week before. I told him I hope that I would never see him again considering the situation. But the reality of it, I saw him months later worse than how I left him. I realized that if we can not heal, we comfort. My journey towards becoming a nurse has nothing to do with ethnicity, salary, or prestige. It simply comes in the passion to comfort, protect, care and do what nobody else will do, a way that nobody else can do, in spite of all we go through.


<3 Your Supergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment